Nancy Downs | Nancy | Nancy@NancyDowns.com
Join the site or follow by email to receive newsletters!

Monday, November 12, 2012

Who’s Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? A Commentary on the Right Range


Recently, Bill and I moved in to a house that was equipped with a Wolf range and vent hood.  Oh goody, a big bad Wolf.

Over the years, I have recommended and specified lots of appliances for my clients. I will admit a certain prejudice to certain appliances, including Wolf, as I felt that comparable features were available at a lesser price point. Why pay more, right?

After using the Wolf for three months now, I must admit (tongue in cheek, of course) that I may have been wrong.

After years of electric cooktops and ovens, I thought it would be nice to have a gas range for a change. Especially so, since I do like to cook.  I think I was unprepared for just how much difference this range makes in the cooking experience. It has six burners and an oven large enough to cook a turkey and a couple of side dishes at one time.  I have had to learn how to use it, as it has a much larger range of heat, both low and high, than electric stoves.

Another surprising thing to me was how well the Wolf vent hood works. The bottom of the hood is 48” above the cooktop, which is a great height to avoid collisions with your head. At this height, the hood can be the same size as the cooktop itself, a size which easily captures and removes food smells. Further, there is a speed control on the vent. It’s not just a hi/lo switch, but a rheostat that allows me to easily control the speed to whatever degree I want.  Finally, there are lights to illuminate the cooking surface. These have a hi/low switch and that seems to be quite adequate.

Previously when specifying vent hoods, I had most frequently specified the Vent-A-Hood brand, as they tout themselves as the quietest in the industry.  After owning a Vent-A-Hood, I will admit that the model I had was not as quiet as the Wolf with its rheostat. Nor was the Vent-A-Hood as effective at removing odors. Hey, bacon smells great, but maybe not in the bedroom.  With the speed turned up all the way, the Wolf does sound like a tractor, but it will also suck out just about any odor. On low, you can have a conversation with anyone in the kitchen. In planning your vent, please note that the hood must be vented to the exterior of the house. Many of the vents today are under the microwave and claim that by running air through a filter that it will remove the cooking odor. I have had this enclosed type of system and found it to be ineffective and horribly loud; useless in my experience.

The Wolf I’m using is an older model. Newer models offer many more bells, whistles and cooking options.  Do your research to find out which products will best serve the way that you cook. Do not rely on just the manufacturers’ marketing brochures, or the salesman’s recommendation. Look up the appliances you are considering purchasing online and read reviews and comparisons done by actual users of the products.

There’s no need to be afraid of the Big Bad Wolf.  Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment